Thursday, September 2, 2010

Ups & Downs




We have had some ups and downs lately. The end of last week involved an increase in crying, a hunger strike, a sleep strike and some loud car protests. Now, Abel is a fairly laid back kind of dude, so this stuff was extra out of the ordinary. I couldn't come up with a label for Abel's presentation, so I asked my linguistic genius sister for assistance. Of course, she came up with the perfect term, "The Baby Vapors". A little bit drama, a little bit helpless, a little bit fuss. All Abel needed was a fainting couch and a glass of sweet tea to complete the look.

Fortunately for us, Abel's case of The Baby Vapors has dissipated for the time being. This week has proved to be pretty cool so far. We had a great weekend hanging around the house with Mike (Abel particularly enjoyed watching Serpico with his Dad). I also was able to cook a meal more complicated than frozen pizza, Abel officially found his thumb, is rolling on his left side like a champ, batting purposefully at toys with a great intensity, and has been chattier, smileyer, roll-overier, and mellower than ever.

This week also marks the official beginning of "Operation: Get Abel to Nap, Not on a Person". With Mike at the helm, Abel has started to take naps by himself. Well..... not technically by himself (swaddled, pacifiered, patted, etc) but at least not on one of us. This is great progress, if it works, as it means I will be able to have 45 minutes here and there to move about the house unencumbered. It is also a slightly sad step, as it means, 1) I won't have an excuse to watch Oprah while Abel naps on me, and 2) I won't get the joy of snuggling with Abel's sleepy little body for hours. We might have to leave one nap a day on Mom.

Today, Abel and I met Amy & Wyatt for a walk around Tennyson and lunch at a very neat place called "Comfort Cafe"- which is a non-profit restaurant with great, fresh food, that doesn't turn anyone away that can't pay. http://www.thecomfortcafe.net/. I highly recommend it!

2 comments: