Sunday, January 2, 2011

Musings of Grandpa Jim





Over the past so many years, friends had told me how wonderful it is to have grandchildren. And to be absolutely honest, I just didn’t get all warm and fuzzy when I heard such. It wasn’t that I was resistant to the idea, but it just didn’t resonate. That’s just the way I am wired, I guess.

And then came Abel!!

First of all, what terrific parents Sarah and Mike have become. They are so committed to Abel’s nurture. Such an incredible amount of love is given to him. They have taken great care to make sure that his whole family and their friends become part of the fabric of Abel’’s life . . . lots Skype, lots of photos, “Look-at-Abel”, and visits.

Sarah and Mike brought Abel to Branchport to spend the Christmas holidays with Carol, Auntie Em and myself. How utterly amazing it was to see him at six months. I would come downstairs each morning to find Abel in Mike or Sarah’s arms, already smiling and ready to start the day. He is so curious, cheerful and active. There is no ignoring Abel.

While here, he started to crawl a bit and his laugh became loud and contagious. Highlights of the days with Abel were his Baby Led Weaning meals, his naked-time and his sessions in his jumper.

So now the New Year has rolled in. The Fitzsnider’s are back in Denver. Carol has put the decorations back in their boxes. I have made the ritual date change to my new year’s resolutions list, but I am having a lot of difficulty unhooking Abel’s Jolly Jumper from that eyebolt in the family room ceiling.

Being a grandparent is wonderful!!

-Grandpa Jim

7 comments:

  1. We were lucky enough to meet grandpa Jim before we left. What a nice guy! Glad he's loving the grandfathering. Hope the trip was fun. We added you characters to our skype so look for a request from us. These boys gotta see each other soon! Miss you kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Able is lucky to have such a wonderful Grandpa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother visited us during the christmas holiday. After looking at our Christmas Cards, she announced that Abel is the cutest baby she has ever seen....and she thinks his Christmas Card picture should be entered in a baby contest!!!! (I must add that she has 9 grandchildren of her own)

    ReplyDelete
  4. note to self... don't read jim's posts while at work to prevent crying in public. what a lucky lil babe that abel is... he drew a golden ticket, and so did all of us. love to jim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree: abel is blessed with the most wonderful grandpa (and with a barrel of cuteness)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww <3
    it was also posted at 11:11 am, which i think is very happy

    :) Caitlin

    ReplyDelete